Have you just brought a new pet hamster home? Or are you planning on doing so shortly?
Fantastic news! 🎉🥳🎊🐹
You’re going to love your petite animal companion — hamsters might only take up a tiny amount of space, but they’ll easily win over your whole heart once you get to know them.
You have to find the perfect hamster name for your little furry fellow, and that’s exactly where this blog post comes in. Kudos for making it here, by the way!
We’ve amassed a wildly large collection of potential names, including and not limited to:
- Gender-specific girl and boy names
- Unisex hamster names
- Names based on hamster breeds
- Funny hamster names
- Cute hamster names
- Trendy hamster names based on fur color
If you read this post until the end, you’re sure to find a cute name that fits your hammie like a glove, as well as a couple of unique hamster name ideas that’ll make you chuckle, smile, and question your favorite name.
But if you’re short on time, use our table of contents and jump to the section that interests you most:
Now let’s scurry on and find your new hamster an epic name!
Female Hamster Names
Are you looking for a feminine name for your furry little princess?
Good thinking — some hammies are total ladies!
And they deserve to receive one of these cute girl hamster names:
- Bonny (or Bonnie)
- Winnie (you know, like the beloved “Winnie the Pooh” animated series character)
Male Hamster Names
Are you the proud owner of one or more male hamsters?
Then this section is the one for you.
Read through our handpicked selection of 25 cool and classic hamster names all boy hammies would love to be called by:
- Malin (means “small warrior,” which makes it one of our favorite cute strong hamster names)
But what if you have a pretty cute male hamster, and you’d like to go for something a bit sweeter?
Head over to the Cute Hamster Name section below and have a little look-see before deciding!
Unisex Hamster Pet Names
You shouldn’t despair if you can’t tell whether you have male or female hamsters.
It happens to the best of us, especially if you’ve saved these cuties from a neglected situation.
You have two choices:
- Head over to the vet and ask them to check your animal’s gender
- Pick an ultra-cute hamster unisex name that works regardless of their gender
If you decide option number two works best for you, you should definitely find an awesome gender-neutral hamster name from the list below:
- Blake (a popularly fancy unisex name)
- Jo Jo
Dwarf Hamster Names
Dwarf hamsters are one of the most fun animals to name.
Come on, look at them — these extremely cute dwarf hamsters are just itching for a good naming!
You could go for:
- a variation of the word “small” or “tiny”
- Something that plays on their loving dwarf hamster personality
- A short, one-syllable hamster name
Here’s what we came up with:
- Dark Knight (perfect for dark-colored dwarf hamsters)
- Dust Bunny
- Pee Wee
- Pom Pom
- Precious (one of the most common dwarf hamsters’ names)
Syrian Hamster Pet Names
Syrian hamsters are among the most popular breeds of hamsters.
And for a good reason, too.
The golden-haired hamster is an absolute beauty thanks to their plump body, chubby cheeks, and cute pink nose.
What should you call yours?
Try one of these names:
- Buttercup (one of our top choices for Syrian hamster girl names)
- Chewie (or Chewbacca)
- Hamtaro (an adorable manga character from Japan)
- Pink Nose
Cute Hamster Pet Names
Cute is most definitely the first word that comes to mind when we humans think of hamsters.
Don’t believe us?
Then put yourself to the test with this picture:
Excellent, we knew we could count on Whiskers to bring you over to “Team Cute Name”
Now have a browse through these 25 cute names for your furry hamster pet friend, and choose the one that’s perfect for your little hamster:
- Boo (or Boo Bear)
- Cuddles (pick this one if you have an ultra-cuddly hamster)
- Cute Child
- Foo Foo
- Hammy (or Hammie)
- Honeysuckle (ideal for a honey-colored dwarf hamster)
Funny Hamster Names
Hammies aren’t just cute, though…
They’re also preposterously funny, mischievous, and good-spirited.
And that means that picking a playful name for your hamster might be the best idea possible.
You’ll laugh, they’ll giggle silently, and your friends and family will chuckle every time you mention your cute pet.
Here’s what we’d pick if we were in your shoes:
- Bounty Hamster
- Bunny (isn’t your pretty hamster equal in cuteness to a bunny rabbit?)
- Ham (or Ham’ N Cheese)
- Karma (quite a playful name if your hamster is always up to no good)
- MC Hamster
- Mr. (or Miss) Fluffy Pants
Elegant Hamster Names
Have you ever met a female hamster that was more composed than Queen Elizabeth II herself?
We have, and she was rightfully called “Elizabeth.”
That fateful meeting gave us the idea of creating a section in this article packed with even more regal hamster names.
Skim through them and see if one is right for your blue-blooded hammie:
- Ferdinand (an excellent name for a hamster that thinks they’re from Spain or Latin America)
- Sir Pom Pom (change the Sir to Madame if you have a girl hamster)
Mysterious Sounding Hamster Names
If your hamster is a cryptic, enigmatic creature, you should consider one of these slightly dark and mysterious names.
And by the way, we’ve pulled together both male and female hamster names, so you’ll be able to find an obscure name regardless of your pet’s gender.
- Don Juan
- Duke Silver
- Guinevere (easily amongst the best hardest-to-pronounce girl hamster names we’ve come across)
- Pharaoh (the perfect name for a hamster if you throw a toy pyramid into their enclosure)
- Furry von Hamovich
Hamster Names Based on Fur Color
What’s the first thing you see when you look at your hamster?
Their soft, silky fur, of course!
And that’s why it’s always a good idea to name your furry little hamster pet after the color of their coat.
You’ll never get tired of it, and it’ll never fall out of fashion.
So what are your options?
Well, that depends on the color of your hamster, but luckily for you, we’ve got you covered for all the most common hamster colors — just keep scrolling until you find the right one!
Sand or Brown Hamster Names
- Brown Sugar
- Choco Chip
- Cinnamon (one of the cutest girl hamster names in the world)
Grey Hamster Names
- Stardust (among our favorite cute girl hamster names)
Orange Hamster Names
- Conan (if your Syrian hamster has a hilarious hair-do)
- Corn Nellious
White Hamster Names
- Bok Choy
- Dust Bunny (ideal for an off-white-colored pet hamster)
- Snow White (a fabulous name for a fully white hamster cutie)
- Snow Dust
Black Hamster Names
- Darth Vader
- Genghis Khan (a great hamster name if you’re little guy has a knack for destruction)
- Johnny Cash
Black and White Hamster Names
- Charlie Chaplin
- Smudge (a cute unisex hamster name that’ll really make you go “aww” every time you say it)
Tips and Guidance on Naming Your Furry Friend
Are you still struggling to find a name for your hamster?
Don’t sweat it. Settling on a name for a hamster is hard work.
This is what we’d do if we were you:
- Take a break — have a coffee or a tea, and give your mind a well-deserved rest.
- Have another look at the gender-based names — is there one that you missed that would be perfect for your girl hamsters (or your boy hamsters)?
- Write down a few words about your hamster’s personality — is there one that could be turned into a name? For example, a sweet hamster could be called “Sweetie,” and a bright pet hamster could be called “Einstein.”
- Look back on your shared experiences — sometimes meaningful hamster names have a much better ring to them than generic cute hamster names.
- Ask your friends — send out a couple of emails and texts asking your closest friends to give you their three favorite names for a few specific categories, i.e., “Cute hamster boy names,” “cute female hamster names,” “unique female hamster names,” and “cool names boy hamster.”
- If all else fails, turn to a child for advice — little people have a way with creativity and naming that no adult could ever match!
Final Remarks on Finding the Perfect Name for Your Pet Hamsters
Your beautiful tiny pet hamster deserves a name that everyone will love.
We can all agree on that much.
However, it’s totally up to you to decide what that name will be and in which direction you’ll go — cute, unique, funny, elegant, color-based, or whatever else you can think of.
And don’t worry too much about what your hamster will think…
They’ll love their new name because their favorite person in the whole wide world went to the effort of handpicking it for them.
Happy naming, and please let us know if we’ve missed any good hamster names in the comments below! 🐹📛❤️